Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

So another Father's Day has come and gone. We had a really nice one and I was especially happy to be able to spend the day with not only the father of my child, but my father as well. Since we were living in Northern VA and just recently moved back to SA, it has been about 6 years since I was able to spend Father's Day with the one father that matters the most to me, my dad. I know it's just another "Hallmark" holiday, created by the evil capitalist to make us spend more money, but I rather enjoy celebrating it and spending it with the important people in my life. Yesterday was really nice. It started by James and I preparing a nice breakfast in bed meal for my husband. French toast, scrambled eggs a la James, and turkey sausage. Here's a photo of chef James cooking his eggs:


It's a very common thing for James to help cook weekend morning breakfasts, but he was very excited on this particular occasion since it was for Daddy. If I had more patience in the kitchen with James, I would have him help with every meal because he did a great job. The meal turned out great and Mike really enjoyed it.


Mike will probably kill me for posting this picture, but I couldn't resist. James was also very excited about the card we made for Daddy, which turned out great:


After breakfast we headed to church with the family and then to my parents for a day of swimming and relaxing. We ended up making a pitcher of Mojitos to enjoy in the pool and they turned out great. They were super easy and very refreshing. Here's the recipe for anyone who is interested:

Danielle's Mojitos
Ingredients:
· 8 sprigs (large) fresh mint
· 1/2 cups sugar
· 1/4 cups fresh lime juice
· 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lime peel
· 4 cups ice cubes
· 1 cups white rum
· 3 cups club soda, chilled
· Mint sprigs for garnish
 
Directions:
1. Remove leaves from mint sprigs. In blender, combine mint leaves, sugar, lime juice, and peel. Pulse until mint is chopped.
2. Fill pitcher with ice and add mint mixture. Pour in rum; stir. Fill with club soda. Pour into 6 glasses. Garnish with mint sprigs.
 
At the beginning of the summer, James was slightly apprehensive about swimming even though he thoroughly enjoyed it last year. We have since been making an effort to take him to my parents a few times a week to swim so that he can get more comfortable with it. He is really starting to warm up to it more and more. My hope is that he will be swimming like a fish by the end fo the summer.
 
 
After enjoying a day of swimming, I made a wonderful steak dinner for the whole family. It was a great Father's Day and I am looking forward to spending many more with my entire family.

No comments:

Post a Comment