Tuesday, November 15, 2011

James' 3rd Birthday

This past Saturday my baby boy turned three years old. Hard to believe three years have passed since he was born, but it's like they say, "Time flies, when you're having fun". For James' birthday party, he requested it be Superman themed, so I went to work on an invitation for the party. I had already decided we were having the party at a location away from home, so I didn't have to deal with the clean-up and hassle of having 15 three year olds at my house. I settled on having the party at Kiddie Park, which is an amusement park for children from 1-10. It's a landmark in San Antonio and has been open since the 50's. It is actually where I had many of my parties when I was James' age, so it was fun to be able to have his party there as well. Here's the final product of the invitation:

The only picture I had of James dressed as Superman at the point I was making the invitations was from Halloween last year and he looks so young there, but they turned out really cute. I then moved on to finding the party decorations. I thought for sure it would be easy to find Superman decorations, but I was wrong. It's all Spiderman, Captain American and Batman. No surprise since those are all of the Superhero movies out right now, but I figured they would have to have something. After scouring the internet, I was able to find some items. I also had the idea of making superhero capes for all of the kids attending the party. Since I don't have a sewing machine and probably couldn't sew even if I wanted to, I asked my friend Amy, who has a company called Sew Embellished and sews some of the cutest gift ideas, to make them for me. They turned out super cute and were a huge hit with all of the kids.

The day of the party was a bit hectic, as I assume it will usually be for future parties, but it ended up being a really fun party. The weather was perfect (sunny in the 70s) and all of the kids had a great time. Here are some photos from the day:

Superman cookies I had made (I'm not that talented) along with the personalized capes

The birthday banner I made

James in his cape
James couldn't wait to dig into the cookies

Superman cupcakes made with homemade butter cream icing

Some of the little superheros in their capes (the boys were Superman colors and girls were pink and black)

The kiddos chowing down

James riding one of the rides

Birthday boy loving his cupcake
After the party was over and we were thoroughly exhausted we headed home, where James demanded we open up his presents. We didn't have a chance to open them at the party since all of the kids were running around non-stop. Here are some photos from that:

Ready to open presents (James has decided he prefers not to wear pants)

"what's in this one?"


Once we were finished with all of the presents it was time for James to take a much-needed nap. When he woke up, we had one last present for James, a John Deere Power Wheels!

The reveal

My little man, happy as can be
I know James will be getting hours of entertainment out of this gift, which was actually a hand-me-down from our neighbors, so I am very thankful to them for it. All in all it was a wonderful third birthday for my little man, but I am definitely glad it is over :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment