Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year's Eve Party

This year we decided to have a New Year's Eve party at our home. Growing up my dad always was the guy to have a party on New Year's Eve and I thought we could potentially take that role over for him. Last year was the first year I didn't stay up until midnight to say, "Happy New Year!" and I don't want to miss it again. For me there is something special about New Year's Eve and I feel sad when I miss the festivities that go along with it. Maybe it's because my dad always made such a big deal about that holiday, but something about it gets me in the party mood :-). Since James was going to be here I wanted to make sure others brought their children so he would have other kids to play with. I decided it would be fun to shoot off some fireworks for the kids (and adults) as well. Mike was maybe a little too excited about that idea and may have gone a bit overboard with the fireworks, but they definitely were a hit:

Our array of fire works (those bags are full of them as well)

 
We had a great turnout for the party and although it was hectic at times with all of the kids running around, we had a blast. Unfortunately it was rainy all day and we were worried we may not be able to use our fire pit or shoot off the fireworks, but mother nature gave us a break after dark and stopped the rain. Much to my chagrin it was still pretty wet and muddy out so it wasn't the cleanest of nights with children (and adults) running in and outside tracking mud everywhere, but I bit my tongue and tried to ignore it as much as possible :-). We had an abundance of food and drink and everyone really enjoyed themselves. I had had a turkey smoked for smoked turkey sandwiches and I had made a beer cheese dip, jalapeno sausage on a stick and a crudites tray for something healthy, and everyone else brought a dish to share. I decided it would be fun to do a signature drink and since it was New Year's Eve what's a better cocktail than a Champagne cocktail. So I made a Poinsettia Champagne cocktail which included Cranberry juice, triple sec, vodka and Champagne. It was delicious and everyone really seemed to like it. I am looking forward to throwing more NYE parties in the future and I think Mike is just excited about the prospect of getting to shoot off more fireworks :-). Here's some photos from the night:

Some of the decorations before the party

The drink table

The spread of food (some hadn't even arrived yet!)

My bestie and me

One of many fireworks shot off that night

Some of the kiddos watching the fireworks from James' playhouse

Margaret & Krys

Lyla, James & McKay watching Cinderella in James' bed
(I was trying to get them to fall asleep...it didn't work)


Jessica, Dana & me (Lyla & McKay belong to them)

The kiddos blowing on the noisemakers

Aaron & Yvette

Mel & Elaine

One of the festival balls I was able to capture (they were so pretty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment